Knald is an ultra-fast GPU powered solution for generating “bake quality” textures from any 2D source texture.
How fast is ultra-fast?
Knald can generate a Normal, Derivative, Displacement/Height, Ambient Occlusion, Concavity and Convexity maps in around 5 seconds on a modern mid-range GPU. When loading an existing Heightmap directly, all other maps are generated instantly and automatically.
Once you integrate your source texture, all the controls in Knald are real-time, meaning that you can iterate quickly and control the exact look & feel of your textures without waiting for your PC to bake and catch up with you.
Multi-vendor GPU Support!
By harnessing the power of OpenCLâ¢, Knald is a cross hardware platform solution and therefore is not limited to any specific GPU vendor. (nVidia and AMD cards currently supported) If your graphics card supports OpenCLâ¢ then you are good to go!
What does Knald mean for artists?
- Versatile work flow – Artists can import and work with Normal, Derivative, Heightmaps and photo-sourced textures.
- All calculations & processing are performed in double/single precision floating point (float64/float32).
- Pixel perfect 8, 16 and 32bit support – Our file I/O and image processing pipeline preserves your high precision data.
- Best in class Heightmaps – Excellent quality, accurate height maps generated from a Normal/Derivative or photo-sourced texture.
- Best in class real-time AO – Extremely high quality and clean results rivaling baked AO at 600+ rays.
- Ultra fast results – Real time AO, Concavity and Convexity map generation adjustment means no more waiting for bakes.
- Simultaneous map processing – See and adjust the results of all maps instantly.
- Real time (scalable) tessellation in the 3D preview – See what your heightmap looks like before importing it into an engine.
OpenCL and the OpenCL logo are trademarks of Apple Inc.